Supporters recognized for their contributions to the site
PERU, Ind. — Ivy Tech Community College leaders saluted the Miami County community recently as they celebrated the 10th anniversary of the College’s Peru Instructional Site during the 2016 edition of the Fundraiser for Student Success.
“It hardly seems possible that our Ivy Tech Peru site has been open now for 10 years,” said David Scheblo, executive director of the site. “On Aug. 21, 2006, the first classes were held at the Peru site. This endeavor would not have been possible without the support of this generous community.”
Recognized for contributing $50,000 or more over the last 10 years to bring the College “close to home” and eliminate barriers to higher education for Miami County residents were:
- Peru Community Schools, for donating the Holman School building for use as the Ivy Tech site.
- The City of Peru and the Peru Common Council, for providing $225,000 to renovation of the building.
- The Miami County Commissioners and County Council, for matching the city’s contribution with an additional $225,000 for the project.
- The Bakehorn Family, for their donation of $200,000.
- Dukes Health Care Foundation of Miami County, for gifts totaling $775,547 through its grants program in support of laboratories, equipment and nursing faculty to provide the nursing program in Peru.
- Psi Iota Xi, Beta Gamma Chapter, for supporting the renovation of the campus auditorium with $55,000 to fund retractable seating.
- Ken Licklider, owner of Vohne Liche Kennels, for a donation of $75,000 to fund the culinary lab.
Nearly 200 people attended the fundraiser at the Milestone Event Center on the Grissom Joint Air Reserve Base, which included entertainment by Miami County’s own Swampwater Stompers, dinner, and an evening of competitive bidding on an array of unique items and experiences. Proceeds from the event support students at the Peru Instructional Site.
Sponsors of the evening included Schneider Electric, Milestone Event Center and Vohne Liche Kennels, Cindy Gillespie of Balloon Affairs, First Farmers Bank & Trust, Gilbert Jewelers, Webster Insurance Agency, Modern Graphics, Quality Plumbing and Heating, IMI of Peru, Dean Baldwin Painting, Miami County Economic Development Authority, City of Peru, Bill and Ann Friend and the Bill Friend for State Representative Committee.
Other sponsors are Mara Mart, Miami-Cass REMC, Blair Ridge Health Campus, Comerford & Co., Riverview Funeral Home and Event Center, Dukes Memorial Hospital, Guyer the Mover, J&J Electric, Peru Tribune, Pizza My Way and McClure Orchard.