Deadline for application to participate is May 30
KOKOMO, Ind. — Ivy Tech Community College Kokomo Region is offering a “Discover Healthcare” day camp for area high school students July 21 to 25. The day camp, based at Ivy Tech’s Peru Instructional Site at 425 W. Main St., will allow area youth to learn more about healthcare careers and the educational opportunities offered at Ivy Tech.
Opportunities at the 2014 “Discover Healthcare” camp include:
- Getting hands-on experience using healthcare equipment
- Practicing various nursing skills such as taking blood pressure and pulses and using glucometers
- Experiencing the excitement of healthcare professionals in action
- Meeting college Health Sciences faculty, students, and graduates
- Discovering the growing need for healthcare professionals
- Exploring numerous careers available in nursing, dental assisting, medical assisting, and paramedic science and emergency medical services
The camp will meet from 1 to 5 p.m. each afternoon July 21 to 25. It will include tours of Dukes Memorial Hospital and the Miami County Community Health Clinic in Peru as well as a visit to Ivy Tech’s Health Sciences facility in Kokomo, where participants will get an introduction to paramedic science/emergency medical services training opportunities.
The camp is being coordinated by the Area Health Education Center of North Central Indiana in partnership with Ivy Tech, Dukes Memorial Hospital, Four County Counseling Center, Indiana Health Centers, and the YMCA.
Applications must be received by May 30. Miami County students interested in applying are encouraged to see their high school guidance counselor. All interested high school students may contact Ivy Tech’s Peru Instructional Site at 765-473-7281, ext. 301, or email Thea Scheblo, assistant director of Admissions, at email@example.com, for additional information. Enrollment is limited. There is a $30 fee to participate; fee waivers are available to students with documented financial need.