PERU, Ind. — A partnership between Ivy Tech Community College, North Central Indiana Area Health Education Center, and Dukes Memorial Hospital will allow area youth to learn more about nursing careers. The 2013 Peru Discover Nursing Camp will be July 8 and 9.
2013 Summer Camp includes:
- Getting hands-on experience using nursing equipment
- Practicing various nursing skills such as taking blood pressure and pulses and using glucometers
- Visiting hospital departments and services
- Experiencing the excitement of nurses in action
- Job shadowing nurses on duty
- Meeting college nursing faculty, students, and graduates
- Discovering the growing need for nurses
- Exploring numerous careers available in nursing
- Learning first aid through training
- Receiving a free stethoscope, blood pressure cuff and a T-shirt
Students interested in applying are encouraged to see their high school guidance counselor or contact Jennifer Hughes at 765-459-0561, ext. 283 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Enrollment is limited. There is a $20 fee to participate, but scholarships are available.
The North Central Indiana Area Health Education Center works to increase awareness among minority, rural, and disadvantaged students about potential healthcare careers.