KOKOMO, Ind. — Ivy Tech Community College Kokomo Region has awarded Robert Richardson of Kokomo the Harvey S. Poling Jr. Memorial Scholarship. Richardson is studying business administration and currently has a 3.7 grade point average. Richardson says after being let go from his previous employer in Dec. 2008, the $500 scholarship means a lot to his family.
“The company I worked for decided to outsource overseas and closed their manufacturing facilities down here in the states. Just last year, I found employment at a local manufacturer thanks to some of the training and classes I had taken from Ivy Tech. I am very thankful for this scholarship and also for the opportunity to attend Ivy Tech,” said Richardson.
Richardson hopes to not only accomplish a better understanding of the business work place, but also obtain a degree to make him more marketable.
“I had been a production supervisor for sixteen years with my previous employer. I always enjoyed working with people, daily challenges in the work place and solving problems,” said Richardson.
Richardson plans to seek a bachelor’s degree in business administration at a local college after Ivy Tech.
The Harvey S. Poling Jr. Scholarship is intended to allow students in need to continue and finish their education in a timely fashion. Money may be used toward tuition, fees and books.
To be eligible for the scholarship, a student must meet the following requirements:
- The applicant must be 28 years of age or older.
- The applicant must have completed at least 15 program credit hours in a Technical Certificate program or 30 program credit hours in an Associate or Associates of Applied Science program.
- The applicant must have a current cumulative GPA of at least 3.0.
- The applicant must be enrolled at least half-time status.
- The applicant must maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress throughout the academic year of enrollment and not be on financial aid probation/termination.
- The applicant must have completed a 2011/2012 FAFSA.